C-TPAT is Customs Trade Partnership against Terrorism which is an integrated voluntary movement that promotes cooperative business connection to empower and improve international supply chain and U.S. border security. C-TPAT is an internationally recognized effective means of providing cargo security through integration with international supply chain businesses such as importers, carriers, consolidators, licensed customs brokers, and manufacturers. This initiative brings, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to alert businesses to ensure the integrity of their security practices and prompts security guidelines of their business partners within the supply chain.
Presently substantial number of partners have been accepted the program. These are the entities.
– U.S. Customs Brokers.
– Mexican Manufacturers.
– U.S., Canadian & Mexican Cross Border Highway Carriers.
– Third Party Logistics (3PL) Providers.
– Marine Port Authorities & Terminal Operators.
– Mexican Long Haul Highway Carriers.
– Air Carriers.
– Rail Carriers.
– Sea Carriers.
– Air Freight Consolidators.
– Ocean Transportation Intermediaries.
– Non-Vessel Operating Common Carriers (NVOCCs).
- Safeguard measure to protect trade interests from terrorism
- Facilitate for better risk assessment and affording CBP to allocate inspectional resources to more questionable shipments.
- Creates clear supply chain security criteria for members to meet expedited processing.
- Establishes harmonised trade relationship in the effort of anti-terrorism principles entailing through cooperation with international community.
- Result in better supply chain and trade relationship by identifying security gaps, implement security measures and ideal trade practices.
- C-TPAT members are considered low-risk and thus could be less proximity to be examined which results in speedier clearing operations.
- Since CBP has mutual recognition arrangements connecting various international industry participants to boost security programs can secure improved global trade.
- Gives more access to export market by establishing a connection through the net work C-TPAT