The Organic certification program refers to the certification process for producers of organic agricultural products inter alia of every step of the organic food production chain. The portfolio is designed to provide certification services throughout the supply chain, for farms, distributors, manufacturers, traders, retailers and restaurants. Organic certification endorses a growing recognition of worldwide demand for organic food. The main objective of organic certification is to ensure organically produced food, assure quality and prevent fraud to promote healthy trade practices.Requirements may vary between countries but generally follow a common code of standards for growing, storage, processing, packing and shipping. The organic certification is globally accepted standards intended to provide that food articles are not produced by using synthetic chemicals, fertilizers, pesticides, antibiotics and food additives e.t.c. Further no synthetic chemical inputs, genetically modified organisms and biosolids are used. Use of farm land also has to meet requirements to be free from the use prohibited synthetic chemicals for a number of years prescribed.
- Food safety is ensured as certification endorses a symbol of reliability of the supplier.
- The objective of consuming pure food produced out of biological process without the use of fertilizers ,chemicals and other synthetic materials harmful to human health is ensured.
- Promotes better international trade by acquiring increased consumer trust internationally
- Organic farming and food production have social value in the emerging environmental
situations, such as to provide compensating measures for ever increasing global warming and erosion of natural resources and being so a lot of incentives from governments would be obtained in the form of subsidies , financial assistance of priority schemes and so on.
- Organic certification has objectives to promote minimal use of off-farm inputs and on management practices that restore, maintain, or enhance ecological harmony.
- Provides guidance on how to manage the environmental aspects of an organization’s activities, products and services more efficiently focuses on reducing the environmental
footprint, pollution and waste produced by businesses, mission to help support organic agriculture and protect the environment.
- Better corporate image by engaging in innovative products having international recognition to bring added trade relations and growth.
- Increased profits would result due to increased demand.