The ISO 9001 series of standards are produced by an international consensus of countries with the aim of attaining global standards of product and service quality. These sets of standards form a quality management system and are applicable to various processes of the organization. ISO 9001 is by far the world's most established quality framework, currently being used by around 897,000 organizations in 170 countries worldwide, and sets the standard not only for quality management systems, but management systems in general.
It helps all kinds of organizations to succeed through improved customer satisfaction, staff motivation and continual improvement.
All organisations can improve Quality through effective implementation of ISO 9001. It doesn't matter what size they are or what they do. It can help both product and service organizations to achieve standards of quality that are recognized and respected throughout the world.
ISO 9001 QMS is based on eight quality management principles:
- Customer focus.
- Involvement of people.
- Process approach.
- System approach.
- Continual improvement.
- Fact-based decision making.
- Mutually beneficial supplier relationships
ISO 9001 provides a framework and systematic approach for managing business processes to produce a product/service that conforms to customer expectations. It is widely acknowledged that proper quality management improves business, often having a positive effect on investment, market share, sales growth, sales margins, competitive advantage, and avoidance of litigation. The quality principles in ISO 9001provide a comprehensive model for qualitymanagement systems that can make any company competitive. Implementing ISO often gives the following benefits.
- Enables a more efficient& effective enterprise operation leading to long range success.
- Improved customer satisfaction resulting to lasting retention.
- Reduces audits and inspections as whole system has got elevated to a better position.
- Enhances marketing by reinforcing effective market strategies and planning.
- Improves employee motivation, awareness, and morale leading to enhanced productivity.
- Promotes domestic trade better and facilitate international trade.
- Increased over all performances could result into higher profits and business image.
- Reduces wastage and increases productivity exposing to improved credibility of customer and trade relations.
- Attracts investments, enhance brand reputation, reduce barriers in trade.
- Provide effective measures of standardization of all enterprise operations.